Compattelrunner.exe error in Windows 7

What gives? This PC is old so I don’t update and rarely install anything on it, yet this compattelrunner.exe popped up today while I was looking at the processes, in years it never appeared before, so I’m a little worried.

Is Microsoft really capable of “updating” my files even though two years ago I told Win7 as soon as I booted the PC after formatting to not update?

Also tell me how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

The “compattelrunner.exe” is a Microsoft tool that scans your system regularly to diagnose your hardware and run compatibility checks. It’s makes sure that your computer is ready to upgrade to Windows 10.

You don’t need to worry about this compattelrunner.exe process, but if you’re concern, you can quickly disable it using the Task Scheduler.

Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience, and then right-click the “Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser” task and select Disable.

Not recommended, but alternatively, you can make sure to uninstall the update KB2952664 from your computer to remove the “compattelrunner” process.