Pureinfotech Forums

Prevent ANY incoming and outgoing data outside browser until vpn connection is established

Hi, I have a Synology NAS at home and it’s running a VPN server. I often travel by train and these happen to have free wifi on board. :raised_hands: However, as it is a public network, it’s potentially unsafe to send sensitive data over that open network. So I connect to the free wifi, fire up my vpn connection to my server and ‘Voila!’ I’m safe®. Well, at least as safe as I would be at home. The problem is: in that time between connecting to that free wifi network and the moment my vpn connaction is established I already get all kind of notifications in my action center about new mail and my live tiles are all updating… etc. etc. Of course it’s very nice that Windows does all those things in the background to provide me with all this useful info. But that also means that all kind of login credentials to several services have already been communicated from my computer over that ‘unsafe’ connection to those services and who knows what kind of evil super villains happen to be in the same train as I am, to scoop up all my confidential stuff!? So, long story short: How do I prevent any incoming and outgoing data until that vpn connection as been established? Of course I need my browser still to be able to load the log-in page of the public network and my vpn connection needs to be able to reach my vpn server at home.

If anybody can help me with that I’d be very thankful!

Rogier

First and foremost, virtually all connections (at least those connections made by Windows 10 and services you connect to Windows 10) are encrypted between your device and the service, so it’s highly unlikely that someone can see your information in clear text.

If you’re worry that someone could intercept your connection, one easy method you can use is to connect to your VPN before leaving the house.

To limit data connectivity, you can also set the network connection as metered on Windows 10. This should limit live updates for notifications, Windows 10 communications, and many apps should stop updating as well.

You can disable apps from receiving or sending information using the Background apps settings page in the Privacy section of the Settings app.

It can be time consuming, but you can configure your firewall to block incoming and outgoing connections per application or per port. You should be able to use the built-in Windows Firewall, but if you want something easier, you’ll need to find and third-party firewall like ZoneAlarm.

Thank you very much for your explanation Mauro!! Very helpful!
I’ll look into setting up a firewall for the Public network profile and ZoneAlarm.