Windows 10: Problems with USB - KB4048955 (OS Build 16299.64)

W10 automatically updated with KB4048955 yesterday and now doesn’t recognise external hard drives, USB etc. Is this a known bug and is there a fix for it ?

Microsoft hasn’t acknowledge that problem with KB4048955.

It might be obvious, but:

• Have you tried using a different USB port?
  • Does the hard drive appears in Computer Management?
  • Does Device Manager shows a problem with driver or USB controller?
  • Have you tried reinstalling the USB driver?

If nothing work, you probably want to uninstall the KB4048955, and if that fixes the problem, there is an issue with the update.

Update: On Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, there is an option to troubleshoot “Hardware and Devices” you can give that a try as well.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve tried 3 different devices on 3 different ports. There is a yellow exclamation mark on the Renesas USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft) - I have right-clicked to re-install the driver but it says it’s up to date.

If I double-click it, the device status says “Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)”. I’ve had a look on Microsoft for Code 43 and there is a section on the difference between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 whish states “One of the reasons is that the device reports itself as supporting a USB version greater than 2.00, but does not provide the required BOS descriptor.”

I realised that all the USB/drives I’d tried were USB 3.0. I just tried using a USB 2,0 stick and that works, but only using a USB 2.0 port on the laptop; using a USB 3.0 port doesn’t work. And if I use a USB 2.0 multihub and plug a USB 3.0 stick into one of the 4 ports on it, that works, but only if I use a USB 2.0 port !

I used to wonder why you have both USB 2 & 3 ports on new laptops these days - now I know !

So it looks like it’s a problem with USB 3.0 - it would be interesting to know if other people have had this problem.

I’m considering either trying to disable the Renesas USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller and re-install the driver or just roll back the update in case that causes further problems.

It’s very interesting, but I’m not surprise to see issues with a Windows 10 quality update. I always try to defer month updates for a least a week before installing them because of problems like you’re describing.

I haven’t see other people complaining about the same issue, but I have read about older printer problems with this update.

Remember that you can always uninstall the update and defer the same update from installing again using the Windows Update settings.

I had a same trouble with KB4048955.
USB3.0 interfaces works well, but USB2.0 interfaces doesn’t work except I/O devices, such as mice and keyboards.
I checked on USB2.0 controllers in device manager, and found strange virtual hub was made under root hub of usb2.0 controller.

So, I delete the USB2.0 controller in device manager, and restart Windows so as to recognize again the physical controller.
Then, I resolved the problem.

Once you delete the USB2.0 controller in the device manager, you may lose your control of your mouse or keyboard.
Use “>shutdown -r -t 300” or Remote-desktop or push physical power switch on your PC to restart windows.

I have the same problem with this update. Neither USB 2.0 nor USB 3.0 is working. I have already tried all suggested fixes and also the ones here. The worst is than when I try to uninstall the update, the update acutally does not get uninstalled.

Windows 10 just received a new update that bumps version build 16299.98. Have you tried to installed it and see if that fixes the problem? Long shot, but I thought to ask anyway.

If you haven’t installed it, I would recommend you to use System Restore to remove the update.

If you don’t have it enabled, you can configure it using these steps, which will help you in the future:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Create a restore point and click the result.
  3. Turn on System Restore.

In the future, Windows 10 will create a checkpoint before installing the update, which you can use to remove the update. You can also create it a restore point manually, before installing the a new update.