Windows Themes stuck after updating to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

After updating to the most recent version of Windows 10, themes just don’t change any more. I have checked settings > personalization > backgrounds to make sure it’s set right, but nothing has worked. This is the only problem I have found in the new update, so I don’t want to revert back.

It really sucks because right before I got the update, I had downloaded a new theme and the only way I can see all the different backgrounds is to right click the desktop and select “Next desktop background”.

I have updated all my drivers and tried the troubleshooters for Windows Update and Windows Store Apps with no help.

If anyone has any help to offer, I would love to hear it.

If you’re having problems with themes on the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, you can try the following:

Uninstall the theme:

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Apps.
  3. Click on Apps & features.
  4. Select the theme you want.
  5. Click the Uninstall button.

If that doesn’t work, delete the themes you have installed from this location (You can use the Run command for quicker navigation):

Go to the personalization settings, and in the Themes section, click the link to open the Microsoft Store and try to download a new theme, but try to download a featured (a newer) theme.

Then on the Background settings, make sure the option is set to “Slideshow”.

If you’re still having problems, try to copy the DesktopBackground folder for the theme you want to use located inside the theme folder in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes, and copy to the desktop.

Then go to the Background settings page, and using the Slideshow option, click the Browse button to select the DesktopBackground folder with the images you want to display.

Thanks, Mauro…I knew there had to be a fix less drastic than a new install! I am away from home until Monday, but will give it a try as soon as I can sit down in from of my computer

Mauro, I realize it has been a while since you tried to help me, but Real Life can be a real witch sometimes!
I have tried the steps you suggested but weirdly enough the themes wouldn’t uninstall using the path you outlined. I click the Uninstall button and it asks if I want to uninstall, so I click on that and the progress bar comes up but never fills, no matter how long I wait. I could delete them by going to Settings>Personalization>Themes. Didn’t change my problem, though. Any other ideas?

You can try deleting everything on this path:

Then check Settings > Personalization > Themes.

If you’re still having problems, it could be a problem with the OS, configuration, or app conflict. In this case, if you really need themes working, I would recommend to reset your Windows 10 PC instead wasting more time.

If you go ahead with the reset, after reinstalling Windows 10, don’t install anything, and first see if themes are working again. Only then configure the settings you want and reinstall your apps to see if any of them are causing the issue.